Monday, April 17, 2006

Changing Your Future by Understanding Your History

I was thinking about the subject of and the tools of Scientology after watching Tom Cruise's interview on ABC Friday night. Scientology is such a large and embracing subject and because it is so extensive it is hard to explain to someone in a 30 second "sound bite."

Upon reflection, though, a phrase did come to mind that might help someone understand the subject: "Changing your future by understanding your history."

It reminded me of the quote; "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." from philosopher George Santayana." My father told me that quote when I was a young guy when I asked him why we study history. Dad amplified upon the quote by explaining to me that we studied history to to learn from the mistakes, failures and the successes of the past so we can have a better future.

That concept is analogous, in my opinion, to what one does in Scientology and it describes what it has done for me.. I have had experiences, as you have, some bad, some good, some downright exhilerating and some sad or even disastorous. What has happened through the processes of Scientology for me is an understanding of what has happened. These processes and information on the courses has allowed me to "not ignore my personal history" and "not be doomed to repeat my mistakes."

Also, I have re-experienced the pleasurable and successful times in my life which rehabilitates the view that I'm a strong and able person.

These processes and training are the "tools" that I believe Tom Cruise was referring to when he said Scientology has tools to improve one's life.

In an elementary, yet powerful example in the book Self Analysis by L. Ron Hubbard, the author demonstrates and helps the reader by recalling selected pleasurable instances from one's past.

I heartily recommend Self Analysis to you as a way tobegin your understanding of your history so as to change your future for the better.